So, now that the basics of the diet have been described, I can break it down a bit more!
According to Whole Life Nutrition, an incredible guide to the Elimination Diet which I am loosely basing my own experience off of, there are two phases of the journey.
1) The Detox and 2) The Elimination.
Like I said, I am loosely following this plan, but I did decide that the two day detox would be essential for sort of resetting my system before going all in. The idea of the diet is to delete any and all foods that may cause inflammation or irregularity, and then to slowly add them back in. The goal is to get to the root of anything that may be bugging your system. In order to do that to begin with, you must have a clean slate! I will complete Phase 1 tonight- meaning I will have had
no solid foods for 2 days. Only smoothies, juices, and pureed soups!
Okay, here is the fun part: The recipes! Below are three of my favorites that I’ve tried these past few days. My wish is that you give them a whirl and enjoy! (I don’t put measurements because I think a smoothie is like a yoga practice- it is your time to do something for you! Play with it until you like it!)
- Bottom Layer: Avocado, Pear, Spinach, Coconut water
- Middle Layer: Banana, Peach, Cinnnamon (Contains manganese which helps your body process fatty acids and keep your blood sugar in check), Coconut water.
- Top Layer: Berries! (I used a mix of Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Cherries), Coconut water, and Camu Powder– This is a shrub indigenous to the Amazon rainforests which is PACKED with nutrients including vitamin C, fatty acids, protein, beta-carotene (Vitamin A) and importantly for my uses: antioxidants and an immune system stimulant to help flush everything out in preparation for the diet! I cannot take credit for this awesome find. This was an amazing tip from my friend Jessica McCarthy who is a monthly guest writer on my dear friend’s blog Miss City Discovers!
Blend the bottom layer first, and pour it into your serving glass so it fills about 1/3. Blend the middle layer next and do the same. Top layer last and do the same. Garnish with cinnamon and pear and enjoy!
2. The Green Fairy– My favorite juice of all time! I called it the Green Fairy because it’s green, of course, but also because I feel like I could just fly away after I drink it, it is that refreshing, cleansing, awakening and enlivening!
- Granny Smith Apple
- Pineapple- Not just to cancel out the yucky green taste! Pineapple contains a digestive enzyme to help cleanse your colon and improve digestion. Perfect for our purposes!
- Ginger- Metabolism spike equals mega detox flush!
- Lemon- The classic elimination diet suggests nixing all citrus fruits including lemon. For my plan, I am making one exception for my beautiful lemons! They really help to detoxify the body, boost immune system, purify the gut and blood, and alkalize your system, balancing your pH levels!
3. Broccoli Puree “Goop Soup”
- 4 Broccoli florets
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 Sweet onion
- Turmeric (to taste)
- Cumin (to taste)
- Pink Himalayan Salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
Chop the broccoli, onion, and garlic cloves and add to a pot. Add water to just below the brim of the broccoli mixture. Bring to a boil and cook until broccoli stems are soft. Once cooked, transfer the broccoli mixture into a Nutri Bullet or food processor and puree until smooth. Pour into a serving bowl and season to taste! Bada bing bada boom! Super easy, quick, and completely within the confines of Phase 1!
I would have loved to incorporate flax or chia seeds and of course my beloved homemade almond milk in these delights, however Phase 1 forbids all nuts and seeds! Weep.
Tip: One day my dad came home with a giant Trader Joe’s jug of Alo Vera Juice. Gross. I thought of the gooey gunk you put on a sunburn to heal your beachy skin, and I was not interested. Well, I wasn’t too far off, actually! Alo vera juice does heal, soothe and repair the digestive tract and gut just the way it does you skin! It also contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties which aid the immune system in flushing out toxins and invading pathogens. SO! It is perfect for our purposes- flushing and repairing in one! If the taste isn’t your fave, try the Coconut Water/Alo Juice combo from TJs! Thanks dad!
So far, I feel super light, clean and clear on the inside, as if I Windexed my gut. (Note: I do not recommend ingesting Windex, as the previous statement was merely a metaphor). Aside from my extreme desire to chew on something solid, I feel good, and I am excited to see where the rest of the experience leads me!
Thank you for reading! Cheers with a cold beer and a piece of pizza in my honor tonight! (Hey, everything in moderation! Just make sure to try one of these smoothies in the morning, hehe).